For the past six years, Camp Surefire has been held at the URI W. Alton Jones campus in West Greenwich, RI. The URI staff and facilities are outstanding and can accommodate all of our needs.
The Environmental Education Center Main Lodge consists of:
- A large dining hall where we have all of our meals (family-style). We also use this space for special large-group camp activities, including the annual Cookie Bake-off.
- A Medical Office adjacent to the dining hall. This is a central location which works well for our campers (e.g., for site changes).
- Five classrooms and one large conference room. We use this indoor space for different small group activities (e.g., arts & crafts, Leader-in-Training activities).
- There is a sand volleyball court and multi-acre recreation fields. We take advantage of the amazing outdoor space for lots of games and activities, including capture-the-flag and water balloons.
- The Compass Circle just outside the main lodge is a daily gathering spot. This is also the location for any musical performances and the camp talent show.
- About 1/2 mile from the main lodge, Lake Eisenhower is a beautiful spot for our campers to swim and canoe.
- There is a Low Ropes Course on campus. Our oldest teen campers and LITs participate in team building and leadership exercises.
- The Campfire is a great spot for diabetes education sessions with Dr. Fox as well as for our evening programs (and of course, S’Mores!).
- Can accommodate 16 to 20 people
- Have polished wooden floors and sturdy wooden bunk beds
- Have hot showers and lavatory facilities
- Are winterized and heated
- Provide wheelchair accessibility